Chapter 17 is a chapter
about how to incorporate relevant information in papers to help you back up
whatever you are arguing. You can use quotes in many different ways in my
writing project I am talking about coffee shops at or around the ASU campus. So
using quotes to contrast ideas or provide information that can be used as
evidence to prove or back up your information, so your paper isn’t just a
personal opinion paper but a valid essay with proof for each criteria of a
coffee shop that I am discussing. Also
in the chapter that would be helpful tool to incorporate in my essay would be
to “use amplification to expand the scope of a point” (Palmquist, 577). This will
only work though if I use quotes only in places where it would make the biggest
impact in my writing because “quotations dropped into a paragraph without an
introduction-are confusing. Worse, paraphrases and summaries inserted without
context can easily be mistaken for plagiarism” (Palmquist, 580). Chapter 18
discusses about how to make your paper more visually appealing to the readers
using things like line spacing with good titles in large font, how to lay a
page out, like where writing should be placed and where illustrations should be
put to make the page be more interesting instead of sloppy. This relates to my
essay because we are going use Illustrations to provide a visual of each coffee
shop I will be talking about because if I am suppose to be rating coffee shops
based on my criteria, isn’t as good as if I have a picture of the coffee shop
to give a visual to the place and to what I am trying to talk about. Just as
long as the illustrations used address what you are trying to talk about
because if you’re talking about a place being dirty then a photo of the dirty
floors or something for example would be a great illustration because it is
like a quote but for the eyes to see. Also other things I can quote from are
from articles like the ones in newspapers because they are usually full of
solid information, and certain web sites contain a lot of information just
knowing what is a good reference versus what would be consider as a poor
reference or website to site your quote from. All of this inforamtion might seem obvious to some people but when writing an essay knowing and providing solid points of reference and making you're paper creative and interesting to read can make a big difference in how people might respond to what you are trying to say.
No comments:
Post a Comment